Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Church Door and Back



What better way to get CD&B up and running for the new season than with a rememberance of the man who started it all many years ago - and without an egg-shaped football in sight.

Conor Murphy CSSP.

Within a tranquil graveyard in Nairobi lie the remains of Spud Murphy who died there ("in foreign fields") in 1991. Standing above the grave on my recent visit I couldn't but wonder whether his repose in Africa was as a result of a sudden passing, or whether he wanted to be closer to a missionary calling and organised his final years in a manner which ensured he would lie for the last time in Africa. I continue to ponder this issue, while lauding the work which he and others of his kind carried out and continue to carry out on behalf of the underprivileged of this world.

My couple of weeks in Kenya afforded me the opportunity to observe aged priests pursue their missionary objectives at close quarters. Aspects of what I saw forced me to re-examine my views on organised or missionary religion. While I maintain a low level of respect for the Irish religious hierarchy my faith in "the cloth" was (not insignificantly) repaired by seeing the the wonderful work done by selfless, unassuming and dedicated men who truly understood the meaning of Christian virtue. It is such a shame that their reputation and good standing has been sullied so much in recent times by the arrogant and unrepentant behaviour of pedophiles, rapists and molesters who were aided and abetted in their shameful activities by the morally destitite pillars of authority which our State created.

God speed his final journey - to the Church Door and Back.